Friday, 4 August 2017

TV SHOW REVIEW: True Blood

Greetings! Happy Friday, in fact. 

Today I'm going to discuss with you the main reason for my absence: my binge-watching obsession with True Blood.

Now a little birdie might've told you that I have a binge-watching obsession with True Blood, however I like to think of it as scientific research- I'm watching this for you! To review #denial 

I feel like I need to point out: the current status of the show is 'legacy', as in there are no new episodes (it finished about five years ago, boo) but lives on.

So I wanted to see what all the fuss was about once I turned 18 (May. Yes, it's taken me three months to be three-quarters of the way through). True Blood was always, as made out my every Earthling I knew, this erotic vampire show that was so vulgar you couldn't watch it until you were either sexually active or eighteen. 
Banzai.

I'd watched a movie called What Maisie Knew and was exposed to the excellence of Alexander Skarsgard. My friend mentioned that the guy he plays in True Blood was the 'immortal opposite' of Lincoln (his character in What Maisie Knew).

I started season one with an open mind. I mean, I was still cynical, awry and perhaps even dismissive of vampires because of, well, TVD and Twilight and a bunch of books I've read. 
My first impressions were 'holy wackadoodle, 60 mins?!'
It was full of stereotypes, case in point:

  • Orphaned girl living with her gram-mama
  • Thick Louisiana accents and cultural stereotypes
  • Orphaned girl is a waitress
  • Womanizing brother
  • etc, etc, etc
One thing that could've improved would be the shitty storylines -_- #Sooric #theshipnameforJesusandLafayette
I guess what drew me to the show was that vamps had been living out of the coffin prior to the show and that it had hella humour. 
It was more funny! So funny. Yes, graphically sexual (HBO has a rep) but what isn't nowadays.
Yes, Eric is my fave but there's more to it than that! I feel like I've been glamoured to what this darn show religiously. It certainly is a guilty pleasure. 

Long story short, I'm currently on Season Five and have no intention to stop any time soon.

Also, I'm considering reading the books. What think you?

No comments:

Post a Comment